Upcoming Events

  1. Kettle Falls Town and Country Days 2018

    June 1 - June 3
  2. T&C Days Car Show 2018

    June 2 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
  3. T&C Days Parade

    June 2 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
  4. KF City Council Meeting at City Hall

    June 5 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Meeting Minutes – Jan 18, 2018

Attendees:  Phil Teller (president), Andrea Hedrick (treasurer), John Ridlington (mayor), Armand Pack, Lorilee Technetium & friend, Wayne & Janet, Debra Watson, Larry Kulesza, Angela Monette, Aditi Sood, Joe Petrucelli

7:00pm  Meeting called to order

7:01pm  Not enough voting members present to make any decisions, so meeting adjourned and opened for general discussion.

Main Street Program discussed:

  • Desire to develop a vibrant retail business in Kettle Falls
  • Reviewed articles in the Main Street program guide and handbook
  • A list of donors to the program is available
  • Go to Main Street Washington for all information
  • Discussed the need for a separate Board of Directors to help develop this program
  • Funds are available if we match them
  • Discussed the restoration of historical buildings, a way to find the information locating all of the historical buildings origins

Question: How do we raise funds to pay for projects?

  • Ask local organizations to donate & then seek matching funds from the Main Street Program
  • Discuss local tax revenue & how it could benefit the town, the arts, etc.
  • The mayor discussed where do we start and how do we move forward?  The greatest good, least amount of cost, etc.

Ideas?

  • Bring people in – make downtown attractive to make out-of-town passersby turn into town, also generate enough local interest to get more local participation
  • License the city logo – and allow business to use for their signs (branding), business vs. general population
  • Have a theme for the town – Like Winthrop has the “Old West” theme
  • With Main Street Program, 50% of B&O taxes paid by corporations could go to Kettle Falls… Go to any company in Washington state & ask them to donate their B&O taxes to us
  • Plan for the city to be provided by Larry Kulesza
  • Discussed the areas that are local but fall under county jurisdiction, and we will try to annex them into the City of Kettle Falls
  • Discussed the pool and the costs: $30,000 estimate.  Need a “champion”.
  • Discussed the need for a Vice President for the Chamber

8:03pm  General Discussion (meeting) ended

Kettle Falls -“Flip This Town” Revitalization Project with Ron Drake

Flip This Town with Ron Drake

Flip This Town with Ron Drake

Beginning in November 2017, several members of the Kettle Falls Community worked together to hire Ron Drake, a renowned renovator of small towns and producer of “Flip This Town” podcast.  School Superintendent, Thaynan Knowlton, has spear-headed the project and has inspired support from many Kettle Falls citizens, while Gabriel Cruden (producer of North Columbia Monthly magazine) has been the organizer of all the data from the meetings.

This post contains all the links that will help you get caught up on the exciting things that have happened since this partnership was initiated!

 

 

 

 

 

Meeting Minutes – Jan 4, 2018

January 4, 2018

Chamber of Commerce Notes As recorded by Katy Pike sub secretary

7:08 Meeting called to order. Discussed when last meeting occurred:  Nov. 16th

Present:

Thaynon Knowlton

Gabriel Cruden

John Riddlington

Katy Pike

Mayor John Riddlington reported that the Xmas tree town lighting was wonderful. Would like to see capitalizing more on this day event with other activities. Lady Lions already hosts craft fair 9- 3 p.m. Academy Morgage (?) willing to be sponsor for the Woodland Theatre production in conjunction with this event. Move cookies/coffee to Meyers Falls?

Thaynan Knowlton said he tried out (using school projector) to show movies in Woodland Theatre. It will work but will need to purchase own projector and screen.  Talked about ideas like consessions, costumes, and other fundraising ideas. Movies like It’s a wonderful life. Katy recommended looking at a nonprofit to apply for an annual movie showing rights (cheaper if you want to show more than one movie in one year period.) Make pitch to community organizations.

Chamber business:

No previous meeting notes at this time.

Dave Blank has decided to resigned as VP. Linda is still active as Social Media and Tech. (YAY! Katy says she is soooo awesome!!!) Facebook, twitter, and instagram have all been created. Secretary and Vice President positions are currently vacant. Please consider taking up a position.

New business Breadbridge Farms (makes non-GMO animal feed) now moving into old Flour Mill Building. Merle Window and Door has new ownership. Steam Engine Coffee Shop is new. Mike Blankenship is owner of Mrs. B’s Coffee stand (possible member?) ask to see if family member would like to be a part of the board.

Accounting cannot be reported on – Treasurerer is absent.

President shared that wants to fundraise for Chamber to help community events.

Park issue discussed.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:05 PM.

Meeting Minutes – Dec 7, 2017

KF  Chamber Meeting – 12/7/2017

Attendees:  Dave Blanck, Lorilee Technitium, John Ridlington, Linda Teller, Lee Moke, Aditi Sood

John talked about Giving Around the Xmas Tree event.  Another whole level was attained this year by having the “Polar Express” train come in (from Idaho) with Santa arriving on the train.

Praise for all the fantastic light displays and mention of the ladies in charge of that.  Thaynan had an idea…show old movies in the Woodland Theater on the same weekend as the event… Lady Lions from 9-3, show movie to 5:30, then the downtown event starting at 6pm.  That would keep people in town all day.  Businesses in town could have specials for the day.

Lorilee: need better advertising for events.  Linda talked about social media accounts.

John: has an old 1950 firetruck with only 8000 miles (but original tires) on it that the Chamber could use in parades, or other groups like high school band or similar.  Idea for putting Santa’s sleigh and reindeer on top of the ladder truck and then have Santa ride in *that* way.

Need more storage for all the decorations, etc.  Police don’t want us to use their storage shed anymore.  Talk about purchasing a container and parking it somewhere.  T&C Days has a storage unit ($50/month for a small 10×10), but needs more space.

Lee showed up at 7:30.  Moved by what he’s been seeing on Facebook.  Wants to improve the digital image.

Linda: Need to capture dollars from people driving through Kettle Falls.

John: lots of history in this area and things to see, places to go, and nobody knows about them.  Mentioned author Jack Nesbitt, “Sources of the River”.

Lorilee: BNSF would love to be part of the Revitalization project.  Dr. Bacon wants to buy a building that will serve the homeless.  Wants to transform the lot next to the Angels Love Clothing location (across from the food bank) into a community garden.  Maybe work with Deanna Hurst, who runs the Community Garden.  A mini green space.  Chuck looking for a building to buy to merge Operation Santa & Angels Love.

John:  Ron Drake project, meetings on Jan 6th and 13th, at the library, 9:30 – noon.  Ideas will be voiced and choose which one to do.  Gabriel Cruden is spearheading the selection process.  As for fundraising, use the Bingo nights.  People want to support you by buying raffle tickets whether or not they want the item being raffled.

Meeting Minutes – Sep 7, 2017

KF Chamber 9/7/2017 Meeting

Attendees: Phil Teller, Dave Blanck, Linda Teller, Lorilee Technetium

 

Phil Teller read the minutes from the 7/20 meeting (Thaynan Knowlton- guest speaker).

Approval of 7/20 minutes: Linda moved to approve, Dave seconded.

President report: town revitalization, projects like new lighting, signage, wayfinding, RR track overpass for pedestrians/bicycles/wheelchairs and shipping container vendor spaces (Lorilee talked to BNSF about helping/donating to the town revitalization). Main Street program has been idling, and we need to get it up and running to get grant money.

Main Street conference in Ritzville. Need more people to go! Get ideas.

New idea for Woodland Theater. Get a grant to get a movie screen to show vintage movies with audience participation (costumes, applauding hero and booing villains).

VP report: Fest of Neighbors was a success, broke even after expenses, horse/buggy incident.
Camp & Jam successful. Amazing meeting at city hall about Happy Dell Park land: city doesn’t own the park but has been maintaining it for 40 years to a $70,000 budget per year. People (antagonists) who stalled summer events finally signed the paperwork to give the land to the city. Talking to Panorama RV guy to buy the 3-acre property behind the stage to become campsites for stage. Boise Cascade having big company picnic at Happy Dell Park.

Arts Committee: Starting project with library, putting library-themed art in the building.

Tech Committee: added dates into Events in Calendar on website. Will add Ciderfest to calendar. Will give login info to Lorilee who can help with the website.

Next event: Ciderfest. Thrill Kettle Falls?

Dave: Need to find a place to store festival stuff….a container? Near the city shop?

Move to adjourn at 8:00pm: Dave, Phil seconded.